If you’re a parent, or work with young children, you’ve likely experienced how regularly they tend to suffer from colds and sickness bugs. When a cold is mild, children don’t tend to be too bothered about it, and can almost always carry on with their daily activities. However, when congestion is involved, it’s a whole other story. Luckily, we’re going to provide you with a way to clear congestion in as little as five minutes… and without using harmful ingredients! Want to learn more? Read on…
The Benefits of a Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe
Vicks vapor rub is the most commonly used rub for congestion. However, did you know that its ingredients can be harmful, especially to children under two years of age? In young children, and adults with sensitive skin, the ingredients in the Vicks products can irritate the airways, which leads to an even bigger build up of mucous, making breathing even more of a problem. Natural homemade recipes don’t have these issues.
How To Make Your Own Vapor Rub
Anything you put on your skin gets ingested into the bloodstream, so it’s important to only use natural ingredients, and choose the most non-toxic skin care products you can. For our homemade vapor rub recipe, you will need:
- 1-2 tablespoons of palm shortening, Candelilla wax or beeswax pastilles (you can make the rub without these, but it won’t be as thick)
- ½ cup of olive oil or coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of essential oils (a mixture of peppermint and eucalyptus provides a congestion clearing combination).
- Start off by using a double boiler to heat 1-2 tablespoons of wax (if you’re using it).
- When the wax has fully melted, stir in the olive or coconut oil, and the scented essential oils that you have decided to use.
- Once the mixture has been mixed together, let it cool a little bit and test a small sample of it on the inside of your skin. If it doesn’t smell very strong, add 1-2 more drops of the essential oils until you reach the desired strength. Likewise, if the mixture is too strong, you can add more wax to dilute it.
- Once you are happy with the mixture, you can transfer it to a sealed container and let it rest for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours you should have a perfect homemade vapor rub.
Your homemade rub should last for approximately two months before it will need throwing away.
Using the Vapor Rub
This vapor rub recipe will not only help with congestion, but it will also ease sore muscles, tension, migraines and headaches, and chesty coughs. To use it, simply use your fingers to pick up some of the mixture, and then rub it onto the affected area. For congestion, rub the mixture into the chest; for migraines and headaches, rub it into the temples; and for sore muscles, simply rub it onto the affected area. Another good tip is to rub it into the soles of your feet and then lay down – this is said to help relieve a persistent chesty cough.
Do You Want To Make More Of Your Own Natural Health & Beauty Products?
- 105+ Home Remedies – Treat almost any illness with potent natural ingredients you probably have lurking in your kitchen already.
- 75+ Natural Beauty Remedies – Look younger and better than ever and experience the best hair and skin of your life with non toxic natural beauty recipes.
- 35+ DIY Household Cleaners – These work better than store bought but WITHOUT the toxic, health harming ingredients. (Plus they are much cheaper!)